In a working space, a user needs to connect to various printers one after the other. In this while, a user ends up with having so many printer drivers lined up on his device. But, one should not worry if he wishes to connect to a new printer. There is always an option to uninstall a printer driver and then install a new one. But, the real problem comes in when a user does not know the process of removing printer driver. Therefore, in this tutorial, we will learn the process to uninstall printer driver. Doing this, will free up some space and keep your device organized. After this, you will also not face printer driver-related issues.
Method to uninstall printer driver using ‘Settings’
Note: these steps are applicable to HP Printer, Brother Printer, Canon Printer, and Dell Printer.
- To delete a printer from Windows 10, open its ‘Settings’.
- After this, click on the ‘Device’ tab and then select ‘Printers and Scanners’.
- Under this, you will find a list of installed printers.
- Select the name of your printer.
- Further, click on the ‘Remove device’ button.
- When prompted, select the ‘Yes’ option and follow some on-screen instructions to complete the process to remove the driver completely.
- Click on the ‘Start’ button and go to the ‘Control Panel’.
- From this tab, select ‘Hardware and Sound’.
- Now, you need to select the option reading as ‘Devices and Printers’.
- Locate the printer you wish to uninstall and right-click on it.
- From here, select the ‘Remove device’ option and you are done.
Steps for removing printer driver using Print Management
To delete a printer driver, apply the steps given below:
- Begin by clicking on the ‘Start’ button and go to the ‘Control Panel’.
- After this, click on the ‘System and Security’ option.
- Further, locate and click on ‘Administrative Tools’.
- Here you will find the ‘Print Management’ option on which you need to double-tap.
- Click to expand the ‘Custom Filters’ branch and then click on ‘All Drivers’.
- Choose the driver you wish to remove and right-click on it.
- After this, follow the ‘Delete’ option and then select ‘Yes’ when prompted.
The process to uninstall the printer driver from Mac
- First of all, tap on the Apple icon available on the top-left of your device.
- From here, select the ‘System Preferences’ option from the menu.
- After this, click on ‘Printers & Scanners’ and locate the driver you want to remove.
- Further, click on the (-) minus sign to uninstall.
- When asked for confirmation, click on the ‘Delete Printer’ option.
- Consecutively, you need to open the ‘Finder’ and then go to the Applications.
- From here, you need to delete the files related to your printer by moving them to Trash.
- After doing so, delete the related cache files as well.
Steps to reinstall printer drivers
To reinstall a printer on your Windows device, follow the steps given below carefully:
- Begin by establishing a connection between your printer and the computer by using a USB cable.
- After this, turn it on and then open its Settings from the Start menu.
- Further, you need to click on the ‘Devices’ option.
- From here, you have to select ‘Add a printer or a scanner’.
- Once you click on this option, Windows will detect your device automatically.
- Click on the name of your printer and complete the on-screen prompts.
Hopefully, the methods to uninstall and reinstall printer drivers have helped you. If you feel stuck while following any process, you can try repeating the procedure or get expert assistance.
Related – How to install the latest driver for your printer?