As we all are aware of the fact that OneDrive and many other applications come pre-installed with Windows 10. These applications and programs get enabled automatically whenever you sign in with your Microsoft account. If a user never uses these applications, then he may get rid of them whenever he wants. The same is the case with OneDrive that if you no longer use it, you may permanently delete it or temporarily disable it.
Microsoft doesn’t provide a user with an option to remove OneDrive. But there is always a way out and you can disable it from wherever it appears in our device. When you disable this application, it will stop running in the background. Also, there are options to enable it once again in case you want to use it in the future. But, Windows 10 Home users should note that they do not have this option as they do not have any access to group policy editor.
Steps to Uninstall OneDrive for Business Windows 10
Before moving on to discuss the steps to uninstall any application including OneDrive, we should note that its folder will not sync if we uninstall it. But, you can always access the data stored on it by navigating to OneDrive.com.
- The first thing you need to do is click on the “Start” option.
- After this, type “Programs” in the search box.
- From here, click on either of the two options i.e. “Add or remove” programs to continue further.
- Further, navigate to the “Apps & Features” tab and locate the entry of “OneDrive”.
- After locating it, select it by clicking on it.
- Afterward, select the “Uninstall” option.
- Enter the admin password when prompted to complete the uninstallation process.
Uninstall from Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows 8 or 8.1
- Click on the “Start” button from your Windows device.
- Using the search box, type “Add Programs” in the given space.
- When the result page opens on your screen, hit the “Programs and Features” option.
- From here, select “OneDrive” or the app that you wish to uninstall.
- Enter the admin password when prompted by the uninstaller.
- As soon as you enter the admin password, you will no longer see OneDrive on your device.
Uninstall using the business command line
If you are using OneDrive Next Generation Sync Client, you may use the command line to turn-off or delete OneDrive from your device.
- Begin by logging into your Windows device. You have to login as an admin.
- After this, open the command prompts.
- Further, you have to run the cmd.
- Here, you have to run “run %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall”.
- Now, you have to access this path: C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive.
- This should be followed by emptying all the documents and folders.
Uninstall OneDrive from Mac
First of all, exit OneDrive and stop all the work which you are doing on this platform.
- Now, on the toolbar, click on the “OneDrive” icon.
- Further, go its “Settings”.
- From here, tap on the option that reads as “Quit OneDrive”.
- Afterward, delete the OneDrive executable file.
- To do this, use the “Finder” to navigate to the “Applications” folder.
- Use the context menu and select the option that reads as “Move to Trash”.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What is Microsoft OneDrive and why do I need it?
OneDrive provides storage service to store a huge amount of data to “cloud”. Whenever a user logs in to his Microsoft account through his Windows device, he is given access to OneDrive. A user may need to use OneDrive if he wishes to store, sync and share various types of files, with other people or on other devices through the Internet.
- Is it OK to disable Microsoft OneDrive on startup?
Microsoft provides its users with an option to disable certain programs and services on the startup. The same is the case with Microsoft OneDrive. You can easily disable it without giving it a second thought. But if you are thinking if it is right to do so, then the answer is yes. There is no harm in disabling the unwanted programs on startup.
- How to delete the OneDrive account?
There is no separate account for OneDrive as it is linked with your Microsoft account. Hence, you cannot delete a OneDrive account but uninstall OneDrive itself in case you do not wish to use it anymore. To uninstall OneDrive, you just have to navigate to the “Apps & Features” tab and locate OneDrive. After this, give it a tap and click “uninstall”.
- Will uninstalling OneDrive delete my files?
If you are worried about losing your data that you have stored on OneDrive and you were planning to uninstall it. Then, worry no more because uninstalling OneDrive doesn’t remove any data stored on. If you wish to access the files, you can easily navigate to OneDrive.com. Here, you have to complete certain online prompts and you are done.
- Are OneDrive files stored locally?
When you store any kind of files or data on OneDrive, it is usually stored on the cloud. But sometimes, it may be stored locally and sometimes not. The storage of data on OneDrive usually depends on the version of Windows on your device. It also depends on the settings that you have configured in OneDrive and sometimes, it becomes a bit confusing to the users.
- How do I stop Windows 10 from saving to OneDrive?
Sometimes, the default “save location” of your PC sets to “OneDrive” but you do not want it to happen. To change it to the “local disk” instead, you have to go to the “Settings” application. After this, go to the “System Storage”. Here, change all the options in the drop-down list to “This PC”. This is present under the “Save location” and you are done.
- Where does OneDrive store offline files?
We need to be online in order to access the files that we have stored in OneDrive. But there is a way out to this problem also in case you wish to store these files offline. You can either do this forcefully or by following certain simple steps. But the question arises where these files are stored? These files are stored on your computer’s hard drive.
- Does OneDrive use space on my hard drive?
Yes, OneDrive does use space on your hard drive but only if when you configure to access the files in an offline mode. In case you do not want it to use the hard drive space of your device, then you may use the “OneDrive Files” on-demand feature. If you use this feature, then your files are only stored in the “cloud” but not in your hard drive.
- Can OneDrive be used offline?
Although it is necessary to have an Internet connection for using OneDrive to store files online you can use it offline as well. Unfortunately, you cannot use all of its features offline but you can use the majority of it. When you use OneDrive in offline mode, it means these files are stored in the hard disk of your device and you can open and change it from there.
- How do I download files from OneDrive to my Android?
Using your Android device, download and open “OneDrive for Android”. Now, login to your Microsoft account when prompted and select the files (photos, videos, etc.) that want to view and download. Further, tap on the “Save” button available at the bottom. You will be provided with an option to save these files to your Android device to be used later.
- How do I move photos from OneDrive to my phone?
If you are using an Android device or any other and wish to move photos from OneDrive to your phone, then you can do it easily. All you have to do is, download the relevant OneDrive application of your phone and login to your account. To start moving photos, select the images that you wish to move and hit the “Save” button to add it to your device.
- Can you use OneDrive as a backup?
Yes, you can use OneDrive for backing up your device’s data because this is the primary thing OneDrive does. It can store a lot of files including photos, videos, documents and much more. But, it works as a backup tool in a limited way in case you are using a free version of it. A free version of anything doesn’t allow you to access the full features of anything.
- Does OneDrive automatically sync files?
There is a feature in Windows devices that when the folder protection is enabled, it automatically starts to sync our files i.e. documents, photos, and folders and starts to save them to OneDrive. This it does to ensure that important files or folders available on our PC are backed up to the cloud service. But, if you do not want this to happen, you can turn off this feature.
- How do I unlink OneDrive?
Navigate to the taskbar of your Windows device and select the icon of “OneDrive” available in the notification area. After doing this, select the option that says “More” and click on the “Settings” option. When the “Account” tab opens, you have to click on the option that reads as “Unlink this PC”. This step should be followed by tapping on the “Unlink account”.