Despite multiple video calling applications, Skype remains the one of the best. It is also one of the oldest and trustworthy VoIP software. But these days after the introduction of competitive apps individual users have numerous choices depending on their needs and features. Although business and enterprise users were left with a handful of choice. One among them is Skype for Business.
How is Skype different?
Apps used for running a business are paid and so is Skype for Business. It supports video conferencing and a whole lot of features required by corporates and business users. Skype on business can be used by logging in from a custom-domain created by enterprises for its employees.
Built for all
Skype for Business comes bundled with office 365 subscription and hence is not required to be purchased separately. The software is user-friendly and also dynamic in nature, and the biggest advantage is that it is available for all platforms like android, iOS, Mac OS, Linux and of course for Windows PCs, tabs and phones running Microsoft’s windows mobile OS. And for the machines that are running slow, Skype has a lighter version too. So a user just has to login by his credentials provided by his / her organization in order to use its advanced features.
Skype for Business has business specific features, let’s check out some
- Unlimited People for Meetings – For business users, a Skype meeting organizer can invite and talk to practically unlimited users (more than 10) at a time. This enables connecting of multiple offices at a time for board and central meetings.
- Personalized URL invites–A business user can invite his team members by creating a personalized URLs for meetings.
- All devices–The Skype for business can be setup simultaneously on all devices and operating systems. The app can be accessed and used from a PC running on Windows 10, Windows 8 as well as a Mac Computer. It can be logged in even from an iOS device like iPhone and iPad too.
- Screen Sharing–The biggest business feature on Skype for business is screen sharing. So, users can not only conduct meetings but enable sharing of files and accessing or editing it from an ongoing skype call. This helps in multiple co-ordination.
- Instant Messaging–Well, this should not be confused with Skype IM, as business users can send personal as well as general in-meeting IMs during a video call.
- Interactive PowerPoint–A PowerPoint file when uploaded, the business user can use laser pointer or highlighter to conduct a presentation inside a Skype call.
- A whiteboard–A place (screen) where colleagues can edit and draft together as if working in the same room.
- Custom Hardware – Skype users can use (skype) certified speaking mikes, USB speakerphones and headphones for best output on video calls.
So, you saw as how feature-rich is the Skype for business.
Using Skype for Business
Skype can be downloaded and installed on computers running on Windows 7 too. It can be downloaded from Microsoft Store and is bundled with Business office 365. One thing to note is that Skye should be downloaded from its official website to avoid any spam being installed on your device.
Uninstalling Skype on Windows
To disable Skype on Windows 10, you have to follow some simple steps.
- The first step is to stop the Skype for Business from starting automatically
- In the next step, choose the tools icon and Tools > Options
- Then select “personal” and uncheck “Automatically start the app when I log on to Windows and Start the app in the foreground”
- No click on “OK” and then Exit the app by clicking on the gear icon, then File > Exit
You have now stopped the Skype services and here is how you can uninstall it.
But, before you continue, you should note that if you are using Office 365 Skype for Business, you cannot remove it. Because it is integrated with other Office apps. So, the following instructions are for the users who have standalone version.
- Go to Control Panel >
- Then click on Programs
- Now click on “Programs and Features” and then on “Uninstall or change a program”
- Here, right-click on “Skype for Business” and click on “Uninstall”
Now, if you don’t see Skype for Business on the list, then you are using a version that’s integrated with other Office 365 apps. So, unless you remove or uninstall all your office apps, Skype will not be removed.
So, it is basically easy to disable and uninstall Skype for business from your computer.
Read Other Related Articles –